Sunday 7 June 2015

From here to there.


It's funny I'm sat here now wondering what to write, I'm not to sure what to put, what will make people interested. In a moment however I will know and this blog will begin to flow, in a nut shell that's what the last 4-5 weeks have been like.

Coming back after injury and taking 8th in Merchtem on the 1st of May gave me a real spur, but it didn't mean that I could rest because I had one top 10, yes it's good, but the aspiration goes further than that, the aspiration is to step on to the podium, or at least that was the main aspiration up until a week a go. Last week in Wezembeek Oppem provided me and the team with what I've been saying I can do since I arrived. 

Last Saturday I drove to the race, a race that my Ausi house mate won last year, admittedly I got a little bit lost trying to find the team parking, but ended up on the course, what I saw at that moment was that this race was going to be hard, windy, raining, punchy climbs and a long drag got me slightly excited, a bit like been Home Home.

Starting off, I eased off a bit because I wasn't under estimating any of the climbs, after all we don't do many races with what can be classed as climbs in them, so it was a guessing game to how I was going to go, the first lap was jumpy, but with a 15-20 minute lap there was plenty of points to make it happen. The second lap up the long draggy like climb was more jumpy, I'd had enough and went to the front to set tempo because the legs still didn't have the good feeling, looking back at the top I was with 1 other guy with a few bridging across, including my team mate, and a big gap to the peloton, so then I really pressed on, really that was it for the rest of the race, our group of 10 + whittled down a little bit more, but really apart from 1 rider slipping away it was down to the sprint in which I took out second in the group, and 3rd overall. Stepping on to the podium felt great and then stepping on it twice to collect best young rider was even better, it backed up what I had told the team I wanted to come to Belgium and do.


Consistency is also key aim out here however, yesterday was another race at Zwevezele inter club, the legs felt good, again it was windy and the split took a while to go, but when it did there was 25-30 riders, and 5 from our team, unfortunately everyone was pretty cooked making the split which left us with no clear plan, a break got away and I was expecting a team mate to jump as I was on the front of the group, but it wasn't to be, but that happens, in the closing laps we nearly got the group back, and I got away in to a group of 7 or so, I was pushing for the win
but knew I had done a lot of work previously, so decided to leave it down to our group sprint which lead to 7th overall. 
Now its about continuing to train well and get everything right, I want to win, but I want doesn't get as they say, and as the support group around me keeps saying, it's all about continuing to work hard and making it happen, but also been smart.

Yesterday's race although not the result I wanted was a good hard day out which I could be happy with. After the finish however I heard that Josh had been involved in an accident and dislocated his shoulder, he's someone that in the race we can work well together and we don't need to talk much, we just make things happen, and make a plan at the end, so the upcoming races will be slightly odd with out him. 

I'm in a good place and racing and life out here just goes hand in hand, for sure I'm happy how things are going, and as always it's forward to the oncoming races.

Cheers Jake

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the new job, Jake. I was amazed when your Dad told me what you were up to. I hope you will soon be speaking fluent Flem.
    All the best for the future (I've just put a 36 tooth cassette on my bike so at least I can still manage the Strines road!)
    Regards, Pat (Old bloke opposite your Dad's)

    ReplyDelete