Friday 24 June 2016

Take 2

Why do we fall? So we can pick our selves up again. Anybody that's had there ups and downs in cycling will know that when your down you have to do something about it, take the advice, listen to the people you trust and do everything possible to return. It's what some people like to call fight or flight, don't fight and you have no chance of coming back. 

It doesn't matter what injury you have, how long it takes, it is the same for every athlete, the hunger is always there, and they always want to be back to where they were. 

I'm happy to say I've been able to start training again under the advice of my coach and the doctor, I'm listening to them and I'm not taking any chances, this set back is something that has taught me something somewhere needs to change.

I have looked at everything this month and also been able to speak with a nutritionist about how I can reduce my risks of having time off, been ill etc, but also how I can possibly come back to fitness a bit quicker. Now I'm trying everything to be back racing as soon as possible, but it's not going to happen unless I feel ready. 

after the 2 weeks off I started doing some easy pedalling under the doctors advice to act as another recovery week, 1-2hrs a day spinning the legs. I started again last week with an easy endurance programme, easy longer hrs on the bike and not much else apart from eating and sleeping. 

It's in a lot of people's interest especially mine that I come back as quick as possible, but the last few weeks I have seen a lot of people that are willing to help with that also. I hear every now and again, riders in Belgium that aren't necessarily from Belgium, "argh I don't like anything about this country, I don't have the help I have back at home". For me it seems that I can get help here as easy as I get it at home. But that's to do with the people I live with, and the team I ride for. For me that helps a lot and it's an advantage I am able to use.  

For the first time in years I was able to complete a physical test recently, and I feel it's answered a lot of questions for me, first of all I do not have that feeling I had before my 2 weeks off, the feeling of weakness and no power, it will also now let me transfer my training to be more efficient, I can now train on heart rate which is something I haven't done for a number of years, but I am not able to train with power as I do not have use of a power meter, but the most important thing now also is, I learn to listen to my body, and admit when somethings is wrong.

With the talks I've had, and bearing in mind everything goes well, I plan to be back racing in the middle of July after a training camp with the team, there can still be a lot of races to ride this season and when I know where the condition is in the first races I can make aims and objectives from there. 

P.s. If there is any possibility anybody out there can help me with with a power meter to use for the rest of the season please get in touch.

Thanks Jake 







No comments:

Post a Comment